Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A lesson in giving

In exactly one week from today, my baby will be turning 6 years old. He is so very excited about all of the upcoming celebrations we have planned. Jonah asked to have a bowling party this year, so this coming Saturday, we'll be having pizza and cake and Jonah and his friends will enjoy an afternoon of bowling. Now, don't get me wrong - I love birthday parties, really, I do. What I don't love, though, is the crazy frenzy of selfishness that comes along with the opening of the gifts. I also don't love bringing home those dozen or so gifts and piling them on top of all the stuff we already have. Of course I have learned the art of discreetly purging ourselves of toys that have done nothing but sit on the shelf for months and months, but still, I haven't been able to shake the feeling that, this year, I wanted to do something different. So, in an effort to help Jonah learn that it really is our calling in life to put others first (which is difficult enough for us 30-somethings, much less a 6 yr old!), we actually requested no gifts. Instead (or rather, In lieu of), we included a request in the invitation for donations for the crisis pregnancy center in our area. I sat down with Jonah and we talked about how there are mommies (and daddies) out there who don't have enough money to buy food, diapers and clothing for their babies. We discussed how very blessed we are to have everything we need, and much, much more. I prayed that he would understand - and - I think...maybe at least a little...he did! So, I am really hoping that he feels a sense of joy in the fact that we are able to help someone else. More importantly, though, I hope that one day he comes to know Jesus as his Savior and that he realizes that this life is really not about us at all.


Edited to add - Just wanted to add that between Chad and myself and our families, Jonah will receive more than his fair share of birthday gifts to open. I didn't want anyone to think that he would be given nothing! :-)

1 comment:

beck'sthree said...

This is a great idea. I struggle daily to help my kids have an attitude of thankfulness and generosity. Love that the donations are for the CPC.