Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A moment of trust

This morning, as usual, we were all rushing around doing our parts to get Chad and Jonah out of the door by 7:30. As an aside - I am so, so, SO very thankful that my sweet husband is able and willing to take Jonah to school as I am really just not much of a fast mover in the mornings. Anyway, I usually place a drink in the freezer when I get up so it will stay nice and chilly in Jonah's lunchbox. I am also usually the one who takes it out and places it in the lunchbox just before he leaves. This morning, however, Isaac needed my attention right when Chad and Jonah were preparing to leave. As they were headed out the door, I jumped up and told Jonah to wait - that I needed to get his drink! He told me he had already gotten it and put it in his lunchbox himself. I found myself headed in the direction of the fridge, but stopped and asked Jonah if he was SURE he had gotten his drink. To which he replied, "Yes, I got it!" He must have sensed my uncertainty because he immediately put his hands on his hips and said "Do you want to check the freezer? It's ok if you want to check the freezer." I smiled and told him "No, it's ok, I believe you." As insignificant as it may seem, somehow I feel that was a moment neither of us will ever forget. My child is becoming more and more independent every day, yet he somehow manages to see that I still want to mother him. I thought he was just adorably mature about the situation and I am so proud of him for becoming such a fine young gentleman.

1 comment:

beck'sthree said...

They're growing up so fast, aren't they? He sounds like a great little boy. :)