Thursday, August 28, 2008

Kindergarten news and prayer for "A"

Ok, so it's been over a week now since school started and Jonah is settling in nicely. Every Thursday the teacher sends home his "communication folder." One side contains items to be kept at home and the other side contains items to be signed/checked/filled out and returned to school - along with his weekly progress report. They are given either an M (Meets Expectations), a P (Progressing) or an N (needs help) in Literacy, Math and Behavior. On the progress report that was sent home today, Jonah received a P for all three. Now, for behavior, this is completely understandable, but I have no clue what type of assessment the teacher has done regarding literacy and math this week. So, in the parent comment section that I will be sending back tomorrow, I asked if there is anything I can work with him on at home to improve his literacy and math. I'll be interested to see her response. As for the behavior, her comment was "We are working on not calling out." I almost laughed out loud when I read it because I know EXACTLY what she means. He's got the whole hand-raising thing down pat - it's just that he doesn't quite grasp that he has to WAIT to be called on. So, basically, he raises his hand and immediately starts talking. We had a discussion on how he has to wait patiently to be called on before he can speak. Hopefully, with daily reminding, he'll improve - I'm sure he will.

Now, let me share with y'all a sweet prayer request from Jonah. For the past few days I've been hearing daily stories about a boy in his class who is "not nice." The boy who is "not nice" has hit and kicked several students (including Jonah), called the teacher "ugly" and today - he hit the teacher. Oh - and he is also sometimes referred to as "the boy who cries every day." Jonah finally found out the boy's name today and for privacy purposes, we shall call him "A". Together through some really mature discussion on Jonah's part, we have determined (as if I didn't already know, but am SO pleased that Jonah figured it out) that the best thing we can do for A is pray for him. So we have added A to the top of the prayer list because, obviously, A needs to be bathed in it. You know, A doesn't know it, and probably never will, but his misbehavior has given me an opportunity to share a powerful lesson with Jonah about forgiveness, prayer and loving our enemies. So, although it sounds strange, I am thankful for A. Although, I have to admit, I will be even more thankful if poor A can learn to keep his hands and feet to himself. Thank God that I know that with Him, and through the power of prayer, it is entirely possible.

In closing, if you don't mind, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd lift up a prayer of your own for little A. Thanks.

1 comment:

kellyliz82 said...

We had a friend the first week of school who was having a hard time adapting and hitting everyone, including the teacher. So we can relate, we will say a prayer for A.

Our teacher sent home an assessment the first week and Jackson scored pretty low. It was stuff he definitely knew (alphabet, counting, colors). Turns out he was shy since he didn't know the teacher and just said whatever to get it over with.