
I want to introduce you to a book I just discovered that I think is a great way to explain Santa to your kids. As a Christian parent, we have a choice to make. Do we let our kids believe in Santa or not? I have friends who absolutely refuse to acknowledge Santa in their household. Their children do not receive gifts from Santa, they don't take their children to see Santa or be photographed with him. One of the reasons for this is that they are afraid that when their children discover the truth, they will realize that Mom & Dad have "lied" to them. If we allow them to believe in Santa, only for them to find out the "truth" later on, how then can we expect them to believe in Jesus? Will they not think we might be lying to them about Him, too?
I am of the mindset that Santa is ok. He's a fun way to celebrate Christmas and to let your child experience a little magic and fantasy. Of course we emphasize that "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" and that the REAL reason for Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ. If we allow His love to permeate our lives so that our children are able to see and feel it, I just know there will be no question in their minds that He is indeed alive and REAL!
I could go on, but I actually think the book explains it much better. The title is "Santa, Are You for Real?" The author is Harold Myra, who just happens to also be the President of Christianity Today, Inc.
The review from Amazon says this:
In Santa, Are You For Real?, children will discover that there really was a Saint Nicholas. Through colorful illustrations and a heartwarming story, children - and parents - will learn who the real Saint Nick was, when he lived, and why he gave gifts. Most importantly, you'll see how the original Saint Nick set an example for us today by keeping Christ at the heart of Christmas.
Written by Harold Myra, President of Christianity Today, Inc., this trustworthy story is accompanied with fun, whimsical illustrations.
You can also read the book in it's entirety here.
I am of the mindset that Santa is ok. He's a fun way to celebrate Christmas and to let your child experience a little magic and fantasy. Of course we emphasize that "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" and that the REAL reason for Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ. If we allow His love to permeate our lives so that our children are able to see and feel it, I just know there will be no question in their minds that He is indeed alive and REAL!
I could go on, but I actually think the book explains it much better. The title is "Santa, Are You for Real?" The author is Harold Myra, who just happens to also be the President of Christianity Today, Inc.
The review from Amazon says this:
In Santa, Are You For Real?, children will discover that there really was a Saint Nicholas. Through colorful illustrations and a heartwarming story, children - and parents - will learn who the real Saint Nick was, when he lived, and why he gave gifts. Most importantly, you'll see how the original Saint Nick set an example for us today by keeping Christ at the heart of Christmas.
Written by Harold Myra, President of Christianity Today, Inc., this trustworthy story is accompanied with fun, whimsical illustrations.
You can also read the book in it's entirety here.
Whether or not you choose to allow your kids to believe in Santa or receive gifts from him, this book is a great explanation of a real person who did exist at one time.

No comments:
Post a Comment