Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Why My Joys?

It has occurred to me several times since I began my blog that I never really offered an explanation as to how I came up with the title for my blog. I'm sure most readers would simply think "Oh...a cute rhyme...boys..joys...." However, there's much more to it than that.

About a year ago our church held a ladies "retreat" at which we viewed a recording of Beth Moore's Loving Well series. Beth described that there are 4 kinds of people in our lives:

Joy - People who are a joy to love (my joy and crown)
"Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!"
Philippians 4:1 (NIV)

Testy - People who are difficult to love often (or sometimes), but are usually placed close to you to "work out what is self-centered in you."
"I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree with each other in the Lord."
Philippians 4:2 (NIV)

Foe - An enemy to your soul
"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"
Matthew 5:44 (NIV)

Far - A stranger -
The ultimate act of loving is to help someone who can't help you back
"And the King will reply to them, Truly I tell you, in so far as you did it for one of the least of these My brethren, you did it for Me.
Matthew 25:40 (Amplified Bible)

So obviously, there's no question that my boys are indeed "my joys" - joys to love. The funny thing is that Beth also shared that your "joys" can often times be "testy", as well! That's usually how I feel on the occasion that one of them wakes me up in the middle of the night..."to work out what is self-centered in you." Sigh.

No comments: